Friday, May 14, 2010

Phindy's Challenge #5 - Christmas ... in May

It's Friday and time for another fun challenge at Phindy's Place! And this time we're celebrating Christmas - yes, I know it's May but it's never too early to get started with Christmas cards to save yourself some December panic!
Let me tell you, Phindy has some of my all time favorite Christmas images but my biggest love of them all must be that little girl with the polar bear. It just makes me all gooey and nostalgic!




I have always felt that this image was calling for watercolors but my printer ink bleeds with water whatever fixative or heat setting I try. SO - I printed on pearlescent card, sprinkled embossing powder on quickly and heat embossed. Now pearlescent card is NOT a perfect surface for watercolors but after a lot of twiddling around I managed to get a half decent result. I used a mixture of Twinkling H2O-s and non-branded palette of pearlescent watercolors.


 
 
Isn't it just a wonderfully warm image?I wanted the image to be focal point so didn't mess with very complicated layouts. All the papers and the fabric strips are from Papermania new Hampstead collection, I edged everything with a sponging of Old Paper distress ink and then chunky glass glitter. The mosaic tiles are from Papermania as well.




The wonderful sentiment is from Eat Cake Graphics, cut out with Nestabilities long ovals. Then I added some lace from my stash and MM felt snowflakes attached with brads. After a bit of hmmm-ing and aaahhhh-ing I coated the snowflakes with glass glitter as well. There you go, very snowy effect! lol



 
 
Now head over to Phindy's Challenge blog and feast your eyes on the rest of creations by our wonderful DT!I would also like to enter that card into following challenges: 
Crafty Cardmakers - Distressing
Dare U 2 Digi Stamp - Anything Goes
Papertake Weekly - Shiny, Sparkly and Special
Pile It On - Cute and Cuddly
My Time To Craft - Toooo Cute!
ABC Challenge - Unused stash (I've had those mosaic tiles and snowflakes for ages and have never used them!)
Thanks for looking and happy crafting!
Hugs
Annika


33 comments:

Kamaik said...

Ух ты!!! это просто чудо!! Великолепная открытка, сказочная красота!

Kathy Czygan said...

WOW Annika! This is absolutely stunning! The image is awesome, and you colored it beautifully! Love all the detail you put into this! That chunky glass glitter is the perfect touch...looks very snowy! Love it!

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

TOTALLY fabulous, Annika. Your coloring ROCKS! I have the same problem with watercoloring digis and haven't really found a solution either, but you did great with this! That glass glitter is so lovely - the snowflakes look terrific!

Ann English said...

Annika, my friend, this is absolutely GORGEOUS! "Half decent"?! OMG-wish my cards were half decent--Love the papers and the embellies, too. You are amazing!

Anne said...

Annika this is just completely and utterly perfect, I LOVE LOVE LOVE this. The colouring is just awesome, Northern lights on the horizon, all of it. Sigh! Turning green with envy here

Tara said...

Oh I love, love, love this Annika..... what a scrummy festive card and soooooo beautifully coloured!
Hugs Tara xx

cnelson said...

sweeter than sweet! LOVE that image!!

Jane Wetzel said...

Awesome Annika- the sweet ribbon is so cool too!

Therese said...

Stunning. What a beautiful image. Love the snowy effect you have made, just perfect. :)

Inkerbelle said...

This is phenomenal, Annika!!

Arianne said...

What an amazing card! The image is sooooo cute!
Thanks for joining us at PIO this week!
Hugs, Arianne

Pastila said...

Wonderful! I dont have a words!

made by fifi said...

gorgeous card - thank you for joining in MTTC challenge this week x

Marlene said...

This is, quite honestly, just about the most beautiful Christmas card I've ever seen! WOW!

Julie said...

Oh My Word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No-one can compete against this stunning card,Perfection!!! x

Unknown said...

This card is absolutely gorgeous!
Hugs
Kim
x

Roxx.T Barnes said...

Incredibly wonderful card..I'm going to check out Phindy's Place I adore that image. Your cards & coloring are amazing.

Debbie said...

Ooohh, so pretty! I {heart} the image, lace and snowflakes!! Thanks for joining us this week at PIO! :)

debby4000 said...

Wonderful, adorable card Annika.
luv
Debby

Julie Riley said...

Beautiful card, it is so sweet, thank you for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers x

Crafting Queen said...

Beautiful card, love your colouring. Anesha

Viv said...

Annika this is stunning! LOVE the glass glitter snow! The colouring is perfect!
So, when do ya wanna swap dogs? I'll wrap Brodie up and post him over to you anytime! LOL!

Nana said...

Awesome card. Real piece of art! Thank you for joining us at "PIO" this week!
hugs Nana

Liz Corrigan said...

Oh Annika this is such an amazing card. Love how you have coloured the image, it gives a feel of an Old Fashioned Christmas. Love it. Rosie x

Mina said...

your so right Annika its really has a vintage nostalgic feel to this image, beautiful christmas card...gorgeous colouring
Mina xxx

Anonymous said...

OMG! Annika, your work is beyond stunning! This is gorgeous and I love everything about it!!

Unknown said...

stunning work!!! thanks so much for playing along with PIO.
Trish

Sylvia Blum said...

oh my gosh.. this is absolutely gorgeous! Amazing how you created kind of a 'painting' out of a 'simple' stamp! Wow wow wow!!!
{hugs} Sylvia

Illy said...

Gorgeous card! Thank you for playing with us at Pile it on!

Pink Blossom Creations said...

I love Christmas any time of the year. This is a lovely creation.. with sparkle
Thanks for joining in with PTW
Caroline x

Chris said...

Fabulous Annika and I agree about the image, it's so beautiful as is your colouring, I love the effect you achieved with the pearlescent paints. Thanks for joining us at DU2DS. Chris :)

Tammy said...

This is absolutely gorgeous, Annika!! Wow...I just love all the detail you add to your cards and I really love how you have colored this image. Everything about this card is just perfect!!!

Anonymous said...

half decent result?!?!?! are you kidding me... this is as gorgeous as it gets! love it!

Thanks for playing w/ us at Pile It On!
-- dalis
PIO Owner

Related Posts with Thumbnails