Thursday, July 22, 2010

Tutorial - making an envelobox for bulky 6x6 card with Martha Stewart Scoring Board

This is my first attempt at tutorial so mercy, please! Besides, my 22-month old was "helping me and thus I had to rush everything resulting is desperate photos. Hope it's of some help though!

What you need:
Sheet of cardstock cut to 11x11 inches
If you want a front panel, then cut it approx to 6 1/4 x 6 1/4 inches
Martha Stewart Scoring Board
ATG Gun
Scissors
Double-sided tape
1/2 inch wide ribbon (about 22 inches)
Measuring tape (for ribbon. totally optional, I just measure "by hand", lol)


Start by positioning the envelope attachment (stored on the back of the scoring board) onto the board and placing cardstock as shown. Make sure the corner of the card is touching the side of the board and that it sits snugly against the bottom edge of the triangle.

Then score at 4 inches and 4.5 inches. Repeat with remaining 3 corners.

Then snip out the area marked in orange, repeat on all 4 sides:
You end up with a following result:
Score on all the lines and attach the front panel if using:
Now apply the adhesive onto the areas marked orange (sorry for wonky lines, I was is HORRIBLE rush and just used a brush tool):
Place the cardstock "face down" now and attach together side flap and bottom flap placing bottom flap on top. It helps if you use a book or thick 6x6 stack of cardstock inside the envelobox to help to align the corner and sides properly. It has to be about 1/2 inches thick cause that's the depth of the envelobox.
Now tuck the remaining side flap underneath, line it up and adhere.
And voila, here's your box!
You could stop here no problem but I like to finish off and enforce a bit more.

I attach the double-sided tape onto the full length of the ribbon. You can do the same thing with ATG gun as well but NOT on tiled kitchen floor while trying to fend off 2 intensely curious toddlers, lol. The ribbon needs to be 3 times the length of the side of your box plus about 4 inches extra. I just measure by hand.

Peel the backing off the tape and tuck about two inches into the envelope:
Then stick the ribbon to 3 sides of your card and tuck the remaining bit into the other side of envelobox. Here's the result:
Looks tidy, doesn't it? I just use the dirt cheap satin half inch ribbon you can buy in spools from Ebay, no need to use your fancy ribbons!

So, here's the box:
And here's the card with the matching envelobox:
Card details can be found HERE.

A NOTE: If your card isn't terribly bulky but still thick enough not to fit comfortably into a regular envelope then cut your cardstock to 10.5 x 10.5 inches and score at 4 and 4 1/4 inches. That gives you an envelobox 1/4 inches deep.

Hope it was helpful!

Thanks for reading!
Hugs


32 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, You did a great job and the photos and explanation was very clear! Make more, make more please.
Regards Ageeth

Tara said...

I shall add your tutorial to my sidebar Annika, it's so useful thanks! Funnily enough I was messing around making some boxes for bulky cards earlier this week and it's something I've never tried before..... surprisingly easy too, even for somebody slow on the uptake like me, lol!
Hugs Tara xx

Anita Wells said...

Hi Annika, I have just bought a Martha Stewart scoreboard and really appreciate your tutorial, I was imagining myself making many boxes before getting the first perfect one and now I shall do perfect every time, thanks to you!! Anita xx

Unknown said...

Hi! That was just great! I had this scoreboard for some time now.. but never even considered making that before now when I See how easy ut is :)

hellerlittle said...

What a great Tutorial, thanks a bunch for it *hugs
Most times i Wonder how anybody can give "thick cards" away, now I know, and i will remember when I do those cards.
LG hellerlittle

Alice & Crafts said...

Super tutorial!! Now you set me up for more shopping...;-) Alice xxx

Dorcas said...

Awesome Annika!! Thanks so much :-)
I need some of these!
Once question (not related to envelopes) how do you get more than 5 pics to upload to blogger? Mine will only let me do 5.
Hugs, Dorcas

Lynne said...

You are a very clever girl!!! I've got the martha stewart board and have been meaning to have a play at doing one of these and you've saved me the trouble he he - thank you - will definitely have a go :o) xx Lynne xx

Sylvia Blum said...

thanks for the workshop Annika! that's a clever idea!

{hugs} Sylvia
PS: hey hunny.. did you get my (snail) mail? I sent it 8 or 9 days ago... I hope you'll receive it and it did not get lost :-(

cnelson said...

Oh wow!! I'm in complete AWE!! LOVE that card...and the envelope...so fab!! TFS the tutorial! Awesome!

Dianne said...

Wonderful tutorial !! Thank you so much !!

Hugs,
Dianne

Ms. Jen said...

Thank you so much for posting this tutorial! I've been looking for one for awhile. Beautiful cards too!

Larisa said...

Wonderful box for nice card! Thanks for idea! )))
Hugs. Larisa.

Marlene said...

Thank you for this fantastic tutorial, girl!!! I just bought one of those MS Scoring boards, too...but haven't played with it yet!

(And you realize, you're my hero because you spelled "VOILA" correctly!) HA HA HA!

stephanne said...

Oooooh, you are a saint!! You + Martha Stewart = perfection!!

Netty said...

Great tutorial Annika, love that M S Board, must get one, oh dear another must have....lol Annette x

Donna said...

Awesome Tutorial Annika.......thanks so much for sharing this
hugs
Donna xx

Di said...

This is just fabulous Annika, i have been looking for something like this for ages i have just bought some expandable envelopes but a box looks so fancy and posh!
the only thing is i dont have the MS scoring board, so i would have to try and adapt iot for my scoring board.
Thanks Hun! great stuff!
Hugs Di xxxxz

Viv said...

Woohoo! Thanks so much for this, gonna have to have a play now . And we'll have some more tutorials please on EVERYTHING you do! LOL! Viv xx

Julie said...

Looks like I should invest in one of these! Congratulations Sweet Pea on you Polkadoodles Win too!!! X

mycardz said...

Ohhh, you're a doll! I love that you did this. I saw that little doohickey when I opened my MS board and thought ...hmmm, someday when I have time, I'll play with this! LOL NOT! You've made it look so easy! Thank you, thank you, thank you! Sooooooooooooooo happy you are on the 7KCF team! hugz, Mary

Tara Godfrey said...

This is a fabulous tutorial, Annika! I went and bought the MS sore board just so I could make this card box...so I am going to give it a go today and can't wait to see how it turns out!
Thanks so much for doing this it looks fabulous and I think it is something that I will be able to do...not too, too difficult...but we will see,smile!
Thanks,hun!
Hugs,t

Marilyn said...

Thanks for this Annika... been thinking I need to figure one of these out & I stumbled upon yours. A lucky stumble it was too!

Katie said...

Thank you so much for this tutorial Annika! I just got my MS scoreboard with the idea that I would make these envelopes but then I was having a hard time finding the dimensions for a 6x6 card. This was so easy to follow and I love how my envelopes turned out! Hugs, Katie

Klare said...

thank you so much for sharing this tutorial. I always struggle to find envelopes for my bulky card makes. So your tutorial was so helpful to me now I can make my own.
KLARE :o) X

Paper Potter said...

Here I am almost two years later finding this tutorial and I think it's BRILLIANT! I plan to pin these instructions and use them a lot now that Stampin' Up! has their own Simply Scored with a diagonal plate. I LOVE the way we can make our own envelopes and boxes! :) ~Celia

Suzie McFloozy said...

You have no idea how long I have been stuggling with trying to make a box for my bulky cards - this made it so simple - thanks so much - MWAH x
((hugs)) Suzie xoxo

Weezy said...

Thanks a million for this step by step guide to making a boxy envelope! A lot of other websites make this all quite complicated with measuring and the like, this was quick and easy - so thank you very very much for being the exact resource that I needed.

Laura said...

I realise this post is a few years old...but still valuable! I'd like to use heavy paper, rather than cardstock. Like computer paper...do the make such paper in 11x11?

Kathleen Adams said...

What a great tutorial. I'm going to try this as all the projects I make need this kind of an envelope! Thank you

gammy said...

Do you have a pattern with measurements for the 6X6 with 1" deep?

Nancy in Oregon said...

Hey, Anika! It's 2023 and I am using your tutorial! Thanks for posting it! Nancy

Related Posts with Thumbnails