Sunday, July 4, 2010

Sentimental Sundays - Celebrate

The challenge is really simple and open to interpretation this time - celebrate!

My card has a bit of a background. Some time ago a wonderful, very funny and talented blogger Marlene asked my opinion as to if colouring with Prismacolours would work well on rough cold press watercolour paper. I said I hadn't really tried it but my curiosity was sparked. I tried Prismas with mineral spirit first but the result was pitifully uneven and "stripy" so I decided to "go rough" and ditch my blending stump altogether. I did all the blending with laying loads of layers with pencils.


The image is a freebie colouring page from Elizabeth Dulemba. As you can see the pigment is laid quite unevenly and it has got caught into the grooves in paper. At the same time it's given kind of cool texture to the image so I'm not sure if I love it or hate it. lol


To keep with the textured and worn feel of colouring I did a lot of distressing with my beloved Cutter Bee Scissors, having before sponged every single piece of paper with Tea Dye, Vintage Photo and Walnut Stain Distress Inks. And then I smudged loadsa Cinnamon Stickles on as well. Just to keep myself happy.


The horizontal strip at the bottom is a 12 inch wide strip of PP which I fed through my long forgotten paper crimper couple of times and then pleated. The stitching is done with deliberately very thick cord to ad to the torn feel.

The papers are from a very neglected K & Co Saffron pad and swirly clips and twill ribbon both from my bottomless stash. Letter stickers are from Jillybean Soup and Pink Paislee and the crown was originally a silvery charm which I made "golden" with dark yellow Copic marker and added tiny gems with a help from beloved Tombow glue (because it has fine nozzle which NEVER gets clogged. don't ask me how, it just doesn't). I added some pizzazz to the corrugated sticker with metallic rub-ons. Again - just to keep myself happy.


Don't forget to check out the fab work of the Sentimental Sundays DT!!

I'd like to enter following challenges:
A Spoon Full Of Sugar - Animals
Crafty Calendar - Summer
One Stop Craft Challenge - Distressing
Papertake Weekly - stitching
Dare U 2 Digi Stamp - great outdoors
Digital Tuesday - Summer
Crafty Cardmakers - Inky Fingers

Thanks for looking and happy crafting!
Hugs


27 comments:

Lori said...

Stunning! I love the prismas on the textured paper, but ditch my stumps i don't know...lol. If I could do that I surely would! And the crown - the perfect touch for such a King! Wow this is fantastic!

Heather Huggins said...

Fabulous card!! Love the crown charm!! Congrats on the DT!! Happy 4th..

Anne H. said...

WOW - your card is gorgeous, Annika!
I love the distressed edges combined with the stickles and the shiny crown charm.
Anne :)

Tara said...

Annika I just don't know how you do it hun! Your cardmaking skills are so diverse and you aren't afraid to try new things. This is awesome and tells such a story.... and that colouring is amazing and works so well on a masculine image... I love it!!!
Enjoy the rest of your weekend.... I'm just off to stroke my new stash some more, lol!
Hugs Tara xx

Sylvia Blum said...

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... totally LOVE this!!! The 'rough look' is gorgeous and the colouring fits perfectly for this! And all the beautiful little details.. so much to discover on this card *wow*
An absolutely stunning and wonderful creation!!!
Wishing you a wonderful Sunday, Annika!
{hugs} Sylvia

Cheryl said...

Wonderful! I love the textured look. It works perfect with the image and embellies. (That crown is too cute!)

Bonita Rose said...

such a wonderful card again this week! hugs and Hv a great Sunday! hugs xo

JanR said...

This card is absolutely stunning. Love it, love it, love it!

Kimberly S said...

How fabulous! Beautiful coloring on your lion, and the crown is a gorgeous touch! :)

Jane said...

Roar! This is brilliant!!! Thank you for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers XX

Allison Rankin said...

What a creation! Love the way you worked with that image!

Archies Mum said...

Wow that card is amazing. x

Unknown said...

Wow hunni...the coulouring looks so textured its fabby!!

Thanks for joining us at one stop crafts xx

SYLVIA-ANNE said...

This is fabulous colouring Annika! Love the "rough" look and all the pleating, stitching and distressing. And isn't it great how a bit of glitter can make us feel happy!!
Love, Sylvia xxxx

Lorraine A said...

fabulous card :-) the image is lovely and your colouring is fantastic ! :-) Love all the teture and colours on this !

thanks for joining the PTW Challenge :-)
luv
Lols x x x

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

I love everything about this, Annika!! All your special touches, especially the crown, are just spectacular. My fav is the pleated and stitched ribbon. This card ROCKS!

Liz Corrigan said...

Annika I love it. The prisma's on the textured paper look great. Love what you have done with the crown, and the texture of the stitches with the thick thread. Rosie x

Netty said...

I love the design of the card Annika, all the different textures which are brilliant. Great. Annette x

Marlene said...

WOWZA. YOU rule!!!

Marlene said...

Aack...I wasn't done! You so rule!!! This is so gorgeous!!!

gina g said...

Wow this is a brilliant card i love it. Thanks for joining us at the OSCC this week. luv gina xx

Mina said...

wow Annika I love this...its look like a page from a childrens story book...I love it...now Im off to have a look at the link
Mina xxx

Mina said...

you little star, I have had three of her images saved for a while and couldnt remember where I had got them so didnt want to use them without being able to like...thanks to you I can link them now...brilliant
Mina xxx

Deb said...

wow what a fabulous creation, I love the stitching and distressing and the colored image is just perfect, wonderful to look at.
xxx

Janis Lewis said...

I'm just browsing through your page and so many of your creations just jump out at me as AWESOME! You are a talented artist!! :) Janis

Wishcraft said...

Stunning card, the pencils look fab on this image and I love all your gorgeous details! Thanks for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers :o) Lisa x

Vixykins said...

Oh it works alright! I think the texture really adds to this image, gorgeous, really stunnng design x


Thank you for playing Craft Cardmakers Inky Fingers challenge x

Related Posts with Thumbnails